chiroptophobic: (Bat; Smoky)
Crane is no longer on the loose. He's in my custody.

My custody, as I'm sure will be illuminated to me, is not lawful, nor is it constructive. It's my belief that Crane needs structured punishment for what he has done: a trial, imprisonment, and psychiatric help. Not a pitchfork carrying mob and a chopping block.

Crane is from my world, and I know him. I know the scope of his threat, and his madness. I also know that what's in store for him is unacceptable in the state it currently exists. I want to surrender him - I will surrender him - but I have demands regarding his treatment that RISE will sustain, if they want my cooperation. This is my letter to RISE discussing my terms.


When it comes to standing trial, it is essential that Crane is treated as the mentally unsound man that he is. I'm sure nobody who experienced the effects of his fear gas, his "treatment" before, or his network behavior since, would doubt that. So from the moment he's surrendered until his trial, I want him overseen by a psychiatric professional. Secondly, in a trial of his peers, I cannot imagine that suitable people can be found who were not affected by his gas, or have friends affected, but the attempt to do so should be made. If impossible, I want to know - and I think the public ought to be aware - of how this unbalance of justice is going to be addressed in this "court's" judgement. Regardless he will be put to trial fairly and swiftly, with a full, paid, state defense--preferably with an import attorney. If one cannot be found then a suitable local attorney should be appointed to him, and paid for out of imPort pockets.

My final demand should be obvious: Crane cannot be allowed to mix with a native population, nor continue using the network the way he has been recently; you'll notice no interference from him presently, and up until his handover has been properly negotiated. Crane doesn't need fear gas to cause harm. He doesn't need his powers. He is Gotham's villain; he makes battle with his mind, not the blunted weapons of magical abilities and the supernatural, and that's what makes him dangerous. That's why I can be certain even now that my catching him, and my handing him over, are both elements of his agenda. You have been warned.

I don't think anything I'm asking for is beyond reason. They are concerns everyone here should have with the criminal justice system that they themselves allowed to take hold, and will be held accountable to if they break the law - as I have.

If you want Crane, then RISE needs only state it's intention to cooperate, prepare its tribunal, and in seven days I will hand him over to face the people's justice. If you want to come after me instead, then you can expect a fight.

"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both." That is all I'm asking for. Much is being done to rebuild in De Chima, the families of the people he hurt continue to need your help, but justice for them and justice for Crane are the same thing, and one cannot be leveled for the sake of revenge for the other.

Date: 2015-09-24 04:51 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] angelfire
angelfire: (Default)
Specifics: Okay, I've pulled together all the information I can think of regarding any appeal Bruce makes to keep his ID secret. I imagine he'll have much of it prepared by an attorney in advance of turning himself in, so that the paperwork is ready to be handed over to make his appeal.

First of all, rather than engaging RISE in a manhunt, he'll be handing himself over via Hal to a member of RISE directly (Riza Hawkeye). He'll be offering absolute cooperation, starting with providing - on the spot - the coordinates for RISE to collect Crane so as to bring him to justice. Of course RISE happens to be picking the exact same moment to track Crane down, most of them having just returned from the mission in Finland, and the information will only be a gesture, essentially.

Further to this, Bruce will be absolutely cooperating with Crane's indictment. He'll provide (read 'return') the things he stole from Crane's office, a suitcase with a list of clients inside, and a laptop computer that yielded no evidence; his own private conversations with Crane; complete witness statements; background about their version of Gotham, etc. Whatever is asked of him, and be willing to speak under oath at Crane's judiciary hearing so long as he's treated as a confidential witness.

The file will also point out that this is Bruce's first offense, that he did eventually do the right thing, and that he registered the day after his arrival in Heropa, immediately attending government events. It will remark that Bruce's efforts - as Batman - saved lives during the terrorist attack, assisting on American soil rather than traveling to Europe. It'll also mention that his efforts in regard to the Crane attack likely also saved lives. He is willing to include re-registration once his parole is served/obligatory involvement in government work as part of his deal.

It will go into detail, and attempt to convince, that identifying Bruce to the public as anything but Batman would not only compromise his ability to serve the government, but cause uncertainty in regard to the safety of the public in the future. It'll go into detail about the Joker's attacks on Gotham City in TDK, and how at the heart of it it involves his identity, and will not only suggest the danger posed if his ID is revealed and the Joker is imported to the city, but reference the number of people directly involved with Batman/Bruce who have been brought here just in the past year, and consequently the likelihood that more may join them, and that not all of them will be friendly. A number of imports from Gotham can be called on to support this fact, if needed.

In terms of how it's handled, I'm willing to have it be that the name is only kept guarded from the public, i.e. court sealed. This would essentially create a bubble of people involved in the case who would discover who he is, and enable him to go into full disclosure, bringing in his initial sponsorship of Crane's clinic and Crane threatening him at his home during Father's Day. He'll be seeking a native public defender consequently. Presumably Bruce's parole officer would be exposed to the same details, several characters in RISE involved with the case, but as Bruce is cooperating and will accept any punishment assigned to him without fighting it, there should be no need for a formal trial.

This is all designed to keep the Bruce Wayne identity on the down low, and my purpose in all of this moving around the details is to ensure that other DC characters in the future won't be immediately exposed to something that may immediately test their characterization significantly. This way, finding out Batman is Bruce Wayne could still be opt in, and would be a matter of choice.

There are things that may be held against him, none the less: first, Bruce's most recent post, secondly, the fact that he concealed his knowledge of what Crane was. These may be relevant in any decision the government makes. As I mentioned before, Bruce is turning himself in in the mask, and may use it's defensive capabilities as an interim measure while he waits for the file he hands over to be dealt with and a decision to be made.

What it all boils down to, though, essentially, is whether or not this is possible to do at all. If it's not, either I'll brainstorm some sort of distraction/rescue from RISE headquarters before he gets turned over, or - given that RISE could probably straight up ask the government who Batman is - just going all in on the exposing his identity thing and deal with the consequences. The other option of canon updating/retiring him to a TDKR draw point is up there too--try proving he's Batman when his knees are fused.

At this point, mod feedback or advice would be really helpful, so please let me know what you guys think is possible/how it would be best to proceed. I appreciate all your help and patience on the subject, thank you.

Profile

chiroptophobic: (Default)
Bruce Wayne

September 2015

S M T W T F S
  12345
6789101112
131415 16171819
20212223242526
27282930   

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 20th, 2026 01:06 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios